Eagles Grab Two Places in Steeplechase to Kick off County Meet
The first day of the Westchester County Track Meet kicked off on Thursday, May 13, at White Plains High School in great fashion as Eagles Brendan Wortner and Sarah King ran to places in the steeplechase events. Results have not been posted yet, but Brendan got the boys on the scoring sheet with a 6th place finish in the 3000m steeplechase. A little later Sarah earned the girls' first points at the County meet since Paulina Nunez grabbed a 6th in the 3000m in 2007 as she took 5th in her first steeplechase race at the 2000m distance.
The County meet will continue up at Montrose at Hendrick Hudson HS on Saturday. Most of the Eagles will be competing in one or two events. Among the top candidates for medal winners among the Eagles' boys are:
- Devonte Brailsford's 44-7 throw in the shot put in the League meet ranks as the 6th best in the county this year although the meet and the place were not entered in the Armory's ranking results. Devonte will seek to match his brother's Brandon's efforts in the 2008 meet when he took a 5th.
- Pat Wortner's 9:49.67 time in the 3200m ranks him 5th among the 3200m runners as he tries to match his 4th place finish from 2009.
- Ramson Ragin is not high up in the rankings for the long jump or triple jump yet this year, but the 6th place distance in the TJ last year was 40-8, so anything could happen.
- Brendan Wortner and George Epstein are probably a little out of range in the highly competitive 1600m as the 6th place time last year was a 4:32, but PBs are definitely in order.
- Idowu Wallace-Shortt would need around an 11.4 in the 100m and 23.6 in the 200m to place, but again PBs would certainly be doable.
Among the Eagles' girls, top candidates are:
- Sofia Maluf is currently 4th among Westchester's 1500m racewalkers with a 8:37.4 best (though that time was from way back in March and probably not up to the Croton relays time).
- Sarah King's 5:04.9 in the highly competitve 1500m places her 10th among county runners, but some of the runners will likely be running the far less strenuous 3000m where a 11:23 took 6th last year.
- Although Shanna Yue got a 3rd at the League Meet in the very competitive 800m race, best chances for a medal would likely be in the 3000m.
For those who want to make the drive to Montrose, there should be some terrific action. PBs to all.